New, affordable homes are to be built in Croydon after Brick by Brick – the council’s house building company – was granted planning permission for its first batch of developments.
Set up to ensure Croydon residents had access to high quality, affordable housing, Brick by Brick aims to deliver around 1,000 new homes on a range of smaller sites across the borough by 2019. Planning consent has been given for eight sites across the Croydon, which will see the development of:
- Two houses and five apartments on King Henry’s Drive, New Addington
- Two houses and four flats on Uvedale Crescent, New Addington
- Seven houses on Chertsey Crescent, New Addington
- Eight flats and a house on Oxford Road, Upper Norwood
- Nine homes at Malton House, South Norwood
- 11 apartments on Northbrook Road, Thornton Heath
- 11 apartments and eight houses on Regina Road, South Norwood
- 34 new homes which will be a mix of flats and houses on Kingsdown Avenue and Montpelier Road, Purley
Half of the properties built by Brick by Brick through its smaller sites programme will be affordable homes, with the remaining 50 percent being for private sale. There is a local sales and lettings policy on all homes, giving local people priority access.
Councillor Alison Butler, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Homes, Regeneration and Planning, said: “It is fantastic Brick by Brick’s first batch of homes have been granted planning consent. Croydon is in desperate need of good quality, affordable housing and this innovative approach will enable many of our residents who are homeless or stuck in temporary accommodation, the chance to move into affordable homes of their own.”
Managing Director and CEO of Brick by Brick, Colm Lacey, said: “We are delighted to have received planning permission for the first group of developments. This is a key milestone for the company and we look forward to successfully delivering these schemes for Croydon residents.”
For more information on Brick by Brick projects see www.bxbdevelopment.com or follow @bxbdevelopment on Twitter.